WiFi - Connected but not working

davewg112

Jul 2, 2007
Ok guys...don't mean to buy but I keep posting my progress just in case someone else has this issue. iPhone tech was no help...simply don't know how to trouble shoot it yet. So i started messing around with the network settings and i found that the only addresses i could change were the dns numbers on the iPhone....so i deleted them....and now its working at my house. i have no idea...we'll see how long this lasts...but if it works then im happy!

todkapuz

Jul 2, 2007
I've tried everything and no dice.. ...

its weird.. I get an IP address, a subnet, etc... DNS all matches right...

I can connect to my wireless ap 192.168.1.254
but I can't connect to my router 192.168.1.1
although my router sees the iPhone.

Works perfectly with my personal laptop, work laptop, and all other wireless technology I've used here. I just want to know why I can't see all of the ip information on the iPhone, like connection specific suffix, etc

Any idea what "search domains" and "client id" are about? never seen those anywhere before.

now I don't get the switch to and from Edge... i have to turn wifi off to get edge.

indivisi0n

Jul 1, 2007
Worked for me as well, though the WiFi icon does not show up when I input this information. Safari and Mail function though at speeds too fast ro be edge.

EDIT: Just confirmed it with a speedtest, while my phone says its using edge, it is using WiFi for sure, even though it is not displaying the icon for it.

akaremo44

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Odd issue

Got a rather odd issue...

Set up the iPhone to use my home wireless network. Sees the Network, and I am able to connect to the network just fine.

The problem is that no matter what I do, the iPhone defaults to EDGE. It will NOT use my wireless network even though it connected just fine and shows it checked in the Settings.

I use a bunch of WiFi products (Wii, PS3, Laptop, Desktop, 8525 Cell, etc) and every one of them are able to connect just fine, so I know it's not my wireless network.

I also tried Static settings and manually assigned it stats.. at that point it goes into wireless mode, but will error out when trying to use Safari...

Anyone else having a similar issue? EDGE has been surprisingly fast, but it is a long way from a real Wifi connection.

:(
If you have an N type router, it will not connect.
I was having a problem connecting with an N router and just got off the phone with Apple and that was the problem for me.
If it is the same with you, try calling your router manufacturer and setting your router back to a g or b setting because apparently this is the only wireless networks the iPhone can recognize at the present time.
Good Luck

davewg112

Jul 2, 2007
I had red a post that said that an older router might have trouble connecting to the iPhone because it is so new. I went to best buy, and got a buffalo router, and it works perfectly! Router was only $35!

Ljp

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
huh. Well, after 3 days I finally got my home wifi working. I had tried all the other fixes posted all over the forums, here and elsewhere. What finally worked after all those hours of resetting and forgetting networks and screwing with the security on the router was to simply change the DNS on the phone and use Open DNS. Bizarre.

ady1122

Jul 8, 2007
Thanks!

Hey Guys,
I've been totally stressed out and could not figure why the Edge was pre-empting my WIFI.. now, it works!

I love this forum! You rule!
Ady

excap

Jul 8, 2007
Yep worked for me too

Told the iPhone to Forget The Network, then reconnected and specified "WEP ascii or hex" instead of "WEP password" for the password.

Now, everything seems to be fine.
Worked for me as well -- thanks!

jgunvalsen

Jul 9, 2007
Just FYI. I also was having problems with my D-Link 524 and the iPhone. I switched the encryption to 128 Hex on the router and now everything works. The only pain is switching all the other devices over but it is well worth it. Hope this helps somebody.

superbox

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
I did the forget network/restart router/phone off/on/ and selected the network again with the ascii password and it works now. It seemed to be working before, but when I tried to access the internet it would switch to EDGE.

I'm so glad I found this website...what a saver. Another problem solved! Now on to the others!

Thank you!

Jul 12, 2007
i fixed my wifi problem! finally! i changed the setting on the iPhone to the wep ascii hex thingy, for the password typed in the code on the bottom of my router, and holy crap it worked! This is after talking to my ISP and an iPhone guy this morning and neither one could help me.:laugh2:

I don't see where there is any wep ascii thingy?

Have tried all the other stuff for Linksys?

Where is the "password typed in the code" on the bottom? This thing has number all over the bottom-PLEASE BE SPECIFIC.

mblind

Jul 13, 2007
On the screen where you would normally type in your WEP key

Click on WEP at the top and it will give you the option to select WEP ascii or hex

I changed to WEP ascii or hex and now I don't lose the Wi-FI icon anymore. BUT I still can't go to a website.. I just says.. Safari can't open the page because it can't find the server

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
you need to input the DNS settings that your ISP uses into your iPhone

The DNS servers allow your iPhone to 'look up' webpages.

Ask your ISP for their DNS server address, then go into your iPhone wi-fi set-up and put them in where requested.

mblind

Jul 13, 2007
you need to input the DNS settings that your ISP uses into your iPhone

The DNS servers allow your iPhone to 'look up' webpages.

Ask your ISP for their DNS server address, then go into your iPhone wi-fi set-up and put them in where requested.

I just bought a 39 dollar d-link router.. works fine now.

garymooks

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Office wifi

I have wifi in my office and my laptop is able to coonect through it when I undock..

On my iPhone (since I have detect wifi networks ON) I pick up the signal..As blue bars(just like in my home)..but unable to connect to the internet..

Any ideas on what i should do to use my iPhone on my office Wifi?

PS:ATT coverage sux inside my office....and why do I need to browse with iPhone(instead of the laptop)..cos iCan:p

-GMooks

RTOIPHONE

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Got a rather odd issue...

Set up the iPhone to use my home wireless network. Sees the Network, and I am able to connect to the network just fine.

The problem is that no matter what I do, the iPhone defaults to EDGE. It will NOT use my wireless network even though it connected just fine and shows it checked in the Settings.

I use a bunch of WiFi products (Wii, PS3, Laptop, Desktop, 8525 Cell, etc) and every one of them are able to connect just fine, so I know it's not my wireless network.

I also tried Static settings and manually assigned it stats.. at that point it goes into wireless mode, but will error out when trying to use Safari...

Anyone else having a similar issue? EDGE has been surprisingly fast, but it is a long way from a real Wifi connection.

:(

First, turn of encryption and see if you can connect. If this works, you need to change from WEP to WPA. The problem is the difficulty putting in the 26 or 64 characters without an error on the iPhone. I just used 26 "1s"

firefighterjmar

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
thanks

you guys are awesome. i thought that i was hooked up to wifi since the phone is supposed to automatically switch, but i wasn't. i was having the same problem as everyone else it seems. i did exactly what all you guys said about the wep hex thing and it works well now. i was like "damn edge and wifi are running at the same speed, this sucks". thanks yall

jamesmadison

Jul 21, 2007
This is too easy

I had to do it this way also..... discovered the reason is the iPhone is doing auto-capitalization on your entered password... rendering it invalid.

if you need to enter a password (had same issue on a web site), turn off auto-cap until you are done.
After messing with the network connection for hours and reading every post on this subject on the forum and suspecting that the passcode was being capitalized without my knowledge or consent. I turned off the autocap(Settings-General-Keyboard) and reinput that ridiculously long code and bingo immediate connection with no dropout or change to Edge. It would be nice if there were a show characters option so you can see what you are typing rendering the whole point moot. I wonder how many others who have suffered with this problem, spent money, and generally torn their hair out overlooked this simple point. Considering there are eight pages of posts on this subject(when this was written), a simple soltion would have been greatly appreciated.