WiFi issues

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Some simple things you can try with minimal risk:

1) Restart the router (unplug it and plug it back in)

2) Reset router settings from the login page (the same page at which you set the password for your wireless network -- this will require that you set your wireless network back up as it wipes your settings)

3) Update your router firmware. If it is a router whose firmware can be updated, that is... If it is, then it will be somewhere in the router settings. Some are as simple as a self update click, others require you go to the support site to download it...either way if this is possible it'll describe the process to you on the router settings page. It's hard to mess this up...you have to deliberately unplug the router while it's processing the firmware update. After it's done, it may or may not have retained your settings, so you should be connected via ethernet cord to do this so you can still access the settings area after the upgrade. In many cases, firmware updates resolve hardware incompatibilities which cause issues like slowness with certain devices.

dirt_mover3g

Bronze
Nov 3, 2008
Hey thanks for the reply fury. I had tried all of that before posting with little to no improvement and after posting I decided to do a lil more digging, and found a post that suggested adding the router IP (192.168.1.1) in front of the DNS number that was already on the phone. So I did this: settings > wifi > My Network (tapped on blue arrow to the far right) > then tapped static, and where it says DNS I typed in 192.168.1.1 then comma, then space in front of the numbers that were already there.
I also changed on the router settings the Beacon Interval to 75, Fragmentation Threshold to 2304, and the RTS Threshold to 2304. However I did not see any change until AFTER i changed the DNS on the iPhone wifi settings. I dunno which of the two changes I made worked but it works like a charm now!

Peresviet

May 24, 2010
You shouldn't be having this much of a problem.

Anyway, beings as the above hasn't worked for you, can i ask if this has ever worked for you? Have you ever been able to connect to any wi-fi spot?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
The DNS in general should always be set to your router's IP. Not sure why it'd be issuing anything other than that. I believe that is where your problem likely was, but it's possible the wireless fine tuning was just enough to nudge it back into harmony.

dirt_mover3g

Bronze
Nov 3, 2008
Ok well I'm beginning to think it was the settings I tweaked on the router cause my wifes iPhone is working good now even though I didn't change her DNS settings at all. If anything changes i'll come back and post here.
I appreciate the help Fury, Thanks:eek:k:eek:k

rollinfromhell

Zealot
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
I'm having major issues with both. I have to keep resetting both or else they will slow down the phone completely. Also on 3G it'll say 4-5 bars and take over a minute to actually get it working. Getting this working in 30 seconds requires switching on and off airplane mode. Anyone else having this issue?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I have experienced a very slow response a couple time as the OP. I have an appointment tomorrow with Apple, so I'll try to remember to post what they find out here.

rollinfromhell

Zealot
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
I have experienced a very slow response a couple time as the OP. I have an appointment tomorrow with Apple, so I'll try to remember to post what they find out here.
When i switch back to 3g from edge or when I leave the house, it takes over a minute to start connecting to 3G even though it says it's connected. Btw this is after doing a 4.0 restore.

MyRichLife

Zealot
Gold
Nov 19, 2009
South Florida.
I just did a restore, well see how it works. Syncing everything back now.
Hope it works for you, if it doesn't call Apple and speak to a iPhone tech representive to see what he or she says if they can't figure out the problem or a find a solution have them set you a appointment to the Apple store.

rollinfromhell

Zealot
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
Can you post a video of what you mean by this?
It seems to be working better now but I gotta reset the phone like twice a day but it's not a big deal for me. Hopefully it will be fixed by future updates. What I ment was when I was switching from edge to 3G to say load pages faster, the 3g would say its on, but it would take like a minute or so to get it functional. And it's not that the connection is dropping, cause I switch back to edge from 3G while 3G is still connecting, it says the edge connected in about 5 seconds from when I connected to the 3G that wasn't responding, and I can still surf immediately almost. 3G takes like a minute to get a signal.

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
If I try to switch between edge and 3g it will not happen unless I re-start the phone or toggle airplane mode. However it does work in reverse 3g to edge. I have an appointment with Apple today, will see what they say. I don't think this is a software issue because the "switch" worked on my 3gs using os 4.0

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I just got back from Apple and they replaced my phone. The diagnostics didn't really show anything out of the ordinary, but they didn't like the fact I was reporting that my signal was dropping on it's own without me holding it. So they replaced it.
Syncing it now. We shall see what happens.

HeyXAsian

Jun 1, 2010
I have an iPhone 3Gs, unlocked and jailbroken, with OS version 3.1.2. and firmware 05.11.07.

The issue that I have with it is that when I reboot or turn the phone off, the phone will not be able to find a network until I reboot it a few more times. I am wondering if there is a fix to this.

snowtrooper1966

Genius
Gold
Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
Greetings!
I have had extreme frustration with the same issue, and had started a thread about it when i first experienced it, here as well as reading a few similar ones.
Seems a known issue with some unlocked & jailbroken 3.1.2 users.
There is a third party app called WiFiFoFum that will find a network for you, but drops connection just about every time you switch 'net pages. Not much help for me. Since it's not wispy reported here, I think it is fairly isolated to a few of us unlucky users. Have only heard of it happening with 3.1.2 phones.
I will upgrade to OS4 once a jailbreak is released, hopefully that will solve to glitch.
The only current solution I have is to not turn my phone off or let it run out of juice......
I'm on t-mobile, what about you?
Best,
snowtrooper1966