WiFi issues

FavreFan77

Bronze
Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
(Not so much a newbie, first time posting from computer and not phone)

Ok, so I noticed the router wasn't putting out a signal, so I reset it (keep in mind I'm not a giant tech junkie).

So I did the wizard set up (netgear wgr614) and I put a WAP passphrase in and boom--signal was back.

Well, now I noticed when I input the passcode into my phone, it works but it seems when I lock the screen and turn it back on, the WIFI signal disappears. So in turn, I have to keep inputting the code for WIFI again and again and again. It didn't do this before until I reset the router.

What on Earth did I do wrong? I can only imagine it's not the phone but something not right in the router. I don't understand the WEP key security function so I did WAP (thought I had WEP originally but I don't remember the number generator tab and 4 keys)?

Please help!

Thanks!

soma4society

Bronze
Dec 9, 2008
doesn't sound like youve done anything wrong, just basic troubleshooting. I just rebooted my router (also for wifi recognition probs) and my phone seems to remember the network just fine. Maybe get your wap key settled, do another router reboot with your phone OFF, then once the router is online again turn your phone back on and see if it recognizes it? You could also try "reset network settings" as part of that process (id do this before you turn your phone off in preparation for the router reboot). Good luck.

Travis_Aigler

Aug 1, 2010
Lewisburg, PA
For some reason the wifi at my work will not work on my phone. It just always pops up saying invalid password, when I'm sure it's right. I put it in a million times!

FavreFan77

Bronze
Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
doesn't sound like youve done anything wrong, just basic troubleshooting. I just rebooted my router (also for wifi recognition probs) and my phone seems to remember the network just fine. Maybe get your wap key settled, do another router reboot with your phone OFF, then once the router is online again turn your phone back on and see if it recognizes it? You could also try "reset network settings" as part of that process (id do this before you turn your phone off in preparation for the router reboot). Good luck.
Thanks a lot. Seems shutting the phone off and back on worked. It remembers the passcode now and hasn't asked me to input it again. That had me frustrated as I didn't see a single thing wrong in the router set up.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Has anyone seen WiFi Issues after jailbreaking with Green Poison....? My wifi is off. According to SBSettings and in iPhone Settings. However.. opening mail at times.., Cydia and a few other Apps. I get the iPhone prompt to select a Network. If I'm at work. It shows all the normal WiFi networks on my floor. As soon as this happens, I'm like I can't believe I left WiFi on. As soon as I check. It's off.

I suppose it could be a Cydia App causing my issue. But I was curious if anyone else had seen it.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
It appears my Problem is due to MyProfiles. I removed it, and so far my Wifi has been working better.

Bummy

Jan 14, 2011
recently my iPhone 4 has been acting up when trying to run an app that uses wifi, like facebook or mail
for example when trying to update facebook I get the loading/updating with the spinning circle but nothing updates
then sometimes it comes up witht no connection try again
I asked some co-workers and they are having no issue connection with their phones
I have tried forgetting the network and starting over but get the same issue
the wifi signal shows full bars
I turn off wifi everything works fine with 3G

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Force quitting Facebook in the task switcher or toggling WiFi on and off usually works for me. Since you've already tried forgetting the network, you could try power-cycling the router (unplug it for 2 minutes).

Bummy

Jan 14, 2011
I have forced quit all app, power cycled the phone
I can't power -cycle the router it is at work, but others here some with iPohne and others with the Atrix all use the wifi with no problem
sometimes the wifi works fine and ocasinally I have this issue at home so I doubt it is the network

Vcoronel127

Bronze
Aug 30, 2011
my fiance has an iPhone 4 version 4.0.1 and her volume isn't working. when she plugs her earpiece in she can hear just fine but everytime she takes the earpiece out the volume just doesn't work.

we turned it off and turned it back on but nothing works. she also tried doing a hard reset but it's not fixing the problem. Pls help...has anyone had this problem before and what did you do to fix it?...thanks in advance

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Just asking but your sure with ear phones unplugged you have tried turning the volume up?
Is it a constant low volume or no sound out of the speaker at all? Is this just calls or what about videos? Music?

I know a lot of questions. Speaker could be broken. You may want to do a sync and do a phone reset and see if that fixes the problem.

SunnySweet

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 23, 2010
Upstate NY
I had the same problem. It happened two days after my warranty expired. I tried all the hard resets/restores etc. and nothing helped. I made an appointment with an Apple genius and the phone was promptly replaced free of charge. Apple rocks!

Kgd0630

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 8, 2010
Anderson, SC
Is the volume bar also missing on the phone when in something like you tube? I just fixed this issue on a 3GS. The connector where u charge was dirty. I had to CAREFULLY dig the stuff out and clean as best as possible, then use some air to blow it out. Fixed it right up.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Mephone131

Oct 1, 2011
I had a 3G and upgraded after 2 years to a 3GS. I never had a problem with the 3G and would have kept it but I needed more memory. I had the unlimited data plan on it. I gave the 3G to my daughter and she got the $25 data plan (not unlimited) and now suddenly the phone is never able to locate wifi (Not a jailbroken phone, not refurbished or ever needed repairs). I've done a hard reset, updated to OS (didn't work on the old OS either). I've taken it to the AT&T store and no help. I'm wondering if this is something AT&T is doing to people who bought cheaper data plans. Anybody know how to fix this or have the same situation?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It is not disabled by the carrier. Sometimes the WiFi chip goes bad and other times it's a software glitch.

Are you unable to find any networks or just your own? Try resetting your network settings. If that doesn't work, restore to factory settings.

Mephone131

Oct 1, 2011
It is any network at anytime. She will be surrounded by other iPhone owners who are happily connecting to available wifi and she is getting nothing. We have reset the network settings, we have restored it to the factory settings. No go. I was told to take it to an Apple store. Thats going to be the only resolution. Thanks.

Chex

Dec 17, 2008
PA
She's due an upgrade...$50 at the most for a 3GS. Sounds like you have done everything you could. Time to throw money at the problem. Couple weeks you can get a cheap iPhone 4.

Your probably due an upgrade on the 3GS as well. Splurge ! Your paying 2K over the course of your contract.
Treat yourself to a new phone, you'll love it.

Sent from my iPhone 10