WiFi issues

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I am still using hotel wifi and seems to connect right up. It did seem slower last night and it's better this morning but I was blaming hotel's wifi.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
No issues with WiFi here. I have an Apple Airport Extreme router and my iPad maintains the connection throughout the house as well as my iPhone and laptop. I haven't been anywhere else with my iPad, though, so can't say that it doesn't have any problems at all with complete certainty.

leslivres

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
WiFi issues finally resolved. Working perfectly now. New issue: cannot send email, but can receive. Server unable to resolve the problem. Thinks it is an iPad issue. any thoughts?

cruizer

Aug 28, 2008
I have a Linksys WRT110 N router..iPhone connects fine all over the house...Ipad frequently asks me to reenter wifi password...sometimes fails to find wifi when starting up...doesn't matter where I am in the house...same problems occur. I believe that this is a problem either with the Ipad antenna or software and nor related to the router issues that Apple has posted fixes for....we'll see!

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I’ve had much better reception since I changed a setting on my Timecapsule to be the fastest 802.11n (5GHz). I still see the occasional 1 bar but it only lasts a few seconds then I’m back to 2 or 3. I’ve never had it disconnect.

Wiggo

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Memphis
Just updated my earlier post to say that changing my D-Link router from mixed b/g/n to g-only and rebooting the router eliminated the problem.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I have a Linksys WRT110 N router..iPhone connects fine all over the house...Ipad frequently asks me to reenter wifi password...sometimes fails to find wifi when starting up...doesn't matter where I am in the house...same problems occur. I believe that this is a problem either with the Ipad antenna or software and nor related to the router issues that Apple has posted fixes for....we'll see!
The only time I see this type of behavior is when the SSID is hidden. For example, if your network is called Cruz, and you have it hidden so you manually have to enter the connection info to connect because you cannot choose it from a list, then the behavior you describe happens.
I just went through this with my iPhone when I hid my network from broadcasting my SSID.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Another observation...the connection seems a lot more reliable and consistent when using a G-only router instead of an N-only.

Sonny Burnett

Bronze
Mar 8, 2010
I refuse to buy my 64GB + 3G until Apple has a real resolution for this issue. By now it is getting to be absurd. Steve Jobs can brag about how many he sold and all of the apps and iBooks downloaded but what about the frustrated consumers who have their hot new device and can't get a stable internet connection?

PATHETIC!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
That is a lot of hostility over a handful of people having wifi problems. It seems to be more random than anything and you cannot blame the device till its been tested in all possible scenarios. it very well could be a router issue more than a iPad issue

Sonny Burnett

Bronze
Mar 8, 2010
That is a lot of hostility over a handful of people having wifi problems. It seems to be more random than anything and you cannot blame the device till its been tested in all possible scenarios. it very well could be a router issue more than a iPad issue
I don't think so. It has been reported will multiple different routers. Apple's solution for Dual Band routers is to create 2 different networks. What if the Dual Band router is in a public hotspot? If the iPhone and a crappy network can access the router without a problem, shouldn't the iPad be able to do the same. It is more than a few people who are complaining about this. I for one am very disjointed.

Everything Looks Great Over Here

mcaram16

Silver
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY
I have noticed that every few minutes or so the wifi icon flashes one time but I never lose connection or anything. Anybody know what that is about?

Mickeylittle

Zealot
Gold
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
The WiFi issue does seem to be toning down quite a bit and I'm gonna take my 3G just as soon as "late april" gets here. I will test it around town for a few days and if it's screwy, I will do my very best to get a replacement, which I feel is very fair. We're all paying good money and WiFi is not a minor portion on this device so if it isn't working consistently then they should be fixed.

Mickeylittle

Zealot
Gold
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Why didn't you just wait for the 3G? That is what I am doing.
I think there are several people willing to pay a restocking fee to get the 3G unit. It's like deciding to use the iPad for 20 days for a $50-$70 fee. I guess it beats waiting for the 3G and was also a way for the user to see if 3G was necessary.

Sonny Burnett

Bronze
Mar 8, 2010
I think there are several people willing to pay a restocking fee to get the 3G unit. It's like deciding to use the iPad for 20 days for a $50-$70 fee. I guess it beats waiting for the 3G and was also a way for the user to see if 3G was necessary.
Morally, I have an issue with this. Essentially you are damaging the place that you purchased the iPad from. If you owned a store would you like it if someone dd that to you?