WiFi issues

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Been having a helluva time with my WiFi setup. It drops continuously and I keep getting prompted to enter my password. I just switched my network to G only, so we'll see if that helps.

On top of this, iTunes keeps prompting me to enter my password. All this prompting is seriously affecting my ability to enjoy my iPad. :(

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I've noticed my iPad occasionally dropping the WiFi signal as well. Not yet frequently enough to disturb my use of it, and usually during watching a Netflix video. Is iTunes prompting you for your password more often than the iPhone does? I only have to enter it when I update/install an app the first time. After that it works like the iPhone, and uses the previous login.

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Been having a helluva time with my WiFi setup. It drops continuously and I keep getting prompted to enter my password. I just switched my network to G only, so we'll see if that helps.

On top of this, iTunes keeps prompting me to enter my password. All this prompting is seriously affecting my ability to enjoy my iPad. :(

Hey Chris, I was having the same problem also. I switched to G only and changed from channel 6 to 11. No more wifi dropping out. Maybe that will work for you too!

Good luck

leslivres

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
first few days i was having the same WiFi problems with little or no connection. finally seemed to correct itself and no problems since. just had it with me on a trip and was worried about connecting where i was staying. grabbed right on with no problem. hope your problems disappear the same way!

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I had a tough time when I first got the iPad 3G on Friday. Going into my router settings and changing it to G-only and moving it from channel 6 to channel 11, then restarting the iPad 3G seemed to fix everything.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I still, even after an iPad exchange, having the problem of the iPad asking me for my password several times. Sometimes I have to turn it on and off in the middle of what I'm doing. Very frustrating. I was told it was a Verizon Fios problem.

forkee

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
yup, i have fios and HATE it to death. been having problems with it ever since switching from dsl. whenever i connect it to the schools wifi, it has no problem. sometimes its so bad at home, i have to turn on mywi on my iPhone to connect the ipad to the internet. i have had to enter my router password so many times i REMEMBERED it. and its not easy (its one of those random ones like 1937v53r6)

Wiggo

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Memphis
It's not just FIOS. I have the same problem, and I have completely reconfigured my router to Apple's recommendations, and still have the problem only with the iPad. All other devices, including iPhone, have zero issues under any configuration I've tried.

Mickeylittle

Zealot
Gold
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
It's not just FIOS. I have the same problem, and I have completely reconfigured my router to Apple's recommendations, and still have the problem only with the iPad. All other devices, including iPhone, have zero issues under any configuration I've tried.
I'm not having any issues at all but for you who are hopefully Apple will have a fix soon as the device has now been out for over a month! Apple, it's time.

smudgeyjoe

Bronze
Feb 18, 2010
Colorado
I have a WiFi and use a Sprint Overdrive mobile hotspot. The first day, every 5 minutes I was asked to re-enter my password. I called Sprint and after an hour of 3-way tweaking between Sprint, Apple, and Mac techs, they got it fixed and I have never gotten the message since. While it may be something about the iPad's signal, nothing was changed on the iPad end, just stuff on the signal sending end.

leslivres

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
have mentioned before that the first few days were a nightmare with Wifi not connecting; email not working, but it all smoothed out and no problems now. just loving it.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
yup, i have fios and HATE it to death. been having problems with it ever since switching from dsl. whenever i connect it to the schools wifi, it has no problem. sometimes its so bad at home, i have to turn on mywi on my iPhone to connect the ipad to the internet. i have had to enter my router password so many times i REMEMBERED it. and its not easy (its one of those random ones like 1937v53r6)
I can totally recite my long odd number too on command because of iPad asking me for it several times a day.

Wiggo

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Memphis
After I posted yesterday, I rechecked everything on Apple's checklist (2.4gHz g only, both n and g networks using same security but with different names, etc.), then did the suggested Reset Network Settings, and voilà! Entered my password once, and it hasn't asked again for over 24 hours.

So if you're still having troubles, try resetting network settings again (I'd done it before, but this time it worked).

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
I know from the Apple discussion forums that this has been a been a big problem for many. There a many different tweaks that have worked for people. I recommend checking it out if your are having problems. So far I am very happy with my ipads wifi performance. It is much stronger than the iPhone in this regard and absolutely sings

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
A couple tweaks I have read about are:

Make sure you keep your screen brightness above the lowest setting

Turnoff Qos setting on router

When going to wifi, hit the arrow on your preferred wifi and scroll down to where it says manual and ckick on it. Then turn wifi off and back on

Some people are using a static ip address for their home network, but this doesn't help much when you are on the go

You Could also google Princeton wifi and find their workaround solution

My suggestion is make sure you firmware is up to date, reset your router, reset network settings. If that doesn't work then try the options I listed above. It seems that these tweaks have worked for many people out there. Apple definitely needs to send out an update for this problem. Let's just hope they get it right when they do