WiFi not working, "genius" says water damage

aky

Bronze
Oct 7, 2007
hi everyone. i have an iPhone 3g and the wifi just stopped working out of no where. so i took it into the Apple store and the first thing he did was point a light in the headphone jack and at the bottom where u plug in the charger.

well he showed me it was a redish color, indicating water damage. and that it was not covered.

that's all he did and told me that i was basically out of luck and had to buy another one.

My phone hasn't come into direct contact with water. only thing i can think of is my newborn son putting it into his mouth.

this is totally BS and just a way for them not to cover the replacement of the phone.

is there anyone else i can have look at it to possibly fix this problem?

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
hi everyone. i have an iPhone 3g and the wifi just stopped working out of no where. so i took it into the Apple store and the first thing he did was point a light in the headphone jack and at the bottom where u plug in the charger.

well he showed me it was a redish color, indicating water damage. and that it was not covered.

that's all he did and told me that i was basically out of luck and had to buy another one.

My phone hasn't come into direct contact with water. only thing i can think of is my newborn son putting it into his mouth.

this is totally BS and just a way for them not to cover the replacement of the phone.

is there anyone else i can have look at it to possibly fix this problem?
Was the supposed to be white dot red?

If anything is going to fix it, a restore is the best bet.

aky

Bronze
Oct 7, 2007
sorry i forgot to mention.

i did a restore and reset network settings.

the white indicator is reddish/pink.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
You can easily sell it on ebay...just don't scam someone, let them know the problem and like Juls1585 said, it will prob. go for $150 or so

pattirj67

Mar 10, 2009
Same thing happened to me, except I KNOW my ohone came in contact with water. It fell into a sink filled with water and fizzled out a week after I got it. The phhone came back overnight and had no problems for over 6 months until the wifi died out on me.
I ended up keeping it for the next couple months, then upgrading and handing it down to my daughter when she joined us on AT&T.

aky

Bronze
Oct 7, 2007
sorry to bring back an old thread, but something weird just happened. i put another sim into this phone and within 2 mins i get the "select wifi" window. WEIRD. wifi is working on this phone because i used a diff sim? What does that mean?

i have yet to put the old sim back into it, but will and let you guys know.

thanks.

aky

Bronze
Oct 7, 2007
not new, just another sim from a friend. same carrier etc... i put back the old sim and now it still seems to work.
but quiet often it goes to 3G/E and wont connect to wifi for a few mins but then goes back to wifi. seems weird.