WiFi Settings Disabled - "No Wi-Fi"

winstone

Aug 5, 2007
WiFi Settings Disabled - "No Wi-Fi" and Wifi Address blank

Just bought my iPhone (8gb) last night and it worked after activiation but the wifi signal was weak even though I was in the same room as the access point. After charging all night the phone would not turn on this morning, did the soft reset (hold sleep and home) and then the phone worked, but wifi did not. I had the grayed out "no wi-fi". I think the easiest way to see if this is the same problem is to check the Wifi Address in the About screen, mine was blank (it should list the MAC address).

I called Apple and they had me do the factory restore which did not resolve the problem. Before calling them back I started playing with the phone more and found also that my phone wont ring when its in standby mode. If I'm on a screen it will ring, but if I put it in standby or it goes into standby, no ring.

Called Apple back about wifi problem, they said to take it back to the Apple store (or we could do the rma/repair thing). I had them lookup the ring problem and none of their techs had heard of that problem.

PS - this was bought at the Southlake, TX store for anyone that is tracking the problem.

Crossing my fingers!

winstone

Aug 5, 2007
I'm happy to report that my replacement phone has Wi-Fi and wakes up to ring. Its only been 6 hours though.:eek:

Kevin77

Nov 17, 2007
I have to say that I'm really disappointed. I'm one of the "no wifi" victims too! I was so happy with the iPod Touch. This morning I watched a 30 minute video on the Touch, and when I went to check one of the movies star's information through Safari, it could not connect to server. I went to the settings to access the Wifi, and it was grayed out. I have restored my iPod at least 8 times now. Even went back to version 1.1.1 - nothing worked. I cannot access the internet at all with this iPod Touch. Looks like I'll be phoning Apple tomorrow morning about it. I spent the day trying to get it to work.

At least I see it's not just me - others are having the problem too. After playing the movie I noticed that the iPod was quite warm. The person who mentioned "heat" earlier may have hit the nail on the head. It could be heat that's causing the WiFi hardware to break down. I would not have thought that the heat the unit generates itself would cause it to break. It doesn't make sense.

cdgloria

Nov 11, 2007
but i had an experience that, the WiFi was back from a NETWORK RESETTING and CLEAR CACHE of Safari, so i believe it has nothing to do with the heat

though, now, i'm out of WiFi again.... sigh

Kevin77

Nov 17, 2007
but i had an experience that, the WiFi was back from a NETWORK RESETTING and CLEAR CACHE of Safari, so i believe it has nothing to do with the heat

though, now, i'm out of WiFi again.... sigh
Hi cdgloria,

It definitely sounds like a hardware problem that you're having too. It's intermittent. That's the only difference. I read a post (possibly yours) where the person said clearing the cache on Safari would fix this, but it did absolutely nothing for mine. Someone somewhere also suggested resetting the network settings under GENERAL-->RESET. That did nothing too. There have been lots and lots of people with the WiFi break down as I've found numerous posts all over the web. Even the Apple Support Site has an entry or two regarding this problem. I swore one time that I would not be amongst the first to purchase new hardware, but since the iPhone was out for a while and because it was "Apple", I took the chance. I should have waited a year before buying this. $500 is a lot of cash to pay for something that is broken in the span of a month. I'm the only one who has ever used it. I work all day, so it was only used for a bit in the evening and weekends. It was never dropped, never been near liquid (including rain), and basically never abused in any way. It was just a hardware malfunction.

By the way, I sent my iPod touch into Apple for repairs. Opening it up and fiddling with it will no doubt cause more problems with it down the road. It's definitely a deal I wish I never made.

djchris42

May 20, 2008
Im in the same Boat

Hey i have an Ipod Touch ,, and im getting the same problem.
It was working when i left for school, and when i got back home it wasn't,, i just goto the WIFI settings and it is gray just like in the picture... Can anyone help please:(

LAPTOP GAMER

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
I hope this isen't a problem that is wide spread as I was getting ready to buy an ipod touch. The good thing is Apple is good about taking care of it no questions.

cookie1126

Dec 19, 2008
no wifi

:mad:

:mad:angry hate this. My phone is doing the same thing I don't get y it just won't let me select it if anyone has a answer to this. Then pleace help a child in need

super.gary

Jan 2, 2009
Is drop or strike can make the wifi chip broken or malfunctioning?
I had restored several times, there's no wifi and bluetooth unavailable.
Is there any method can fix my iPhone?
thanks!

Nick Charlsen

Feb 9, 2009
Dude the same thing just happened to me except that i was out for a jog on a hot day and got really sweaty. It just sucks though

Mizo

Feb 15, 2009
Hi, my Wi-Fi was working perfectly this morning. Now, i can't even enable Wi-Fi under settings. The option is greyed out with "No Wi-Fi". I tried shutting down, reset, restoring the whole iPhone, etc. to no avail.

Here's a screenshot
http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wifierrorvl4.jpg

Has anyone seen this? I know i have many wi-fi networks active. I just connected to mine from the iMac that my iPhone is connected to.

Not that this has anything to do with this, but everything was fine until I went for a motorcycle ride on a hot day with my iPhone in my pocket which took some heat from the pipes on my bike (nothing extreme though). When i got back home, my Wi-Fi was hosed.

I hope "No Wi-Fi" doesn't mean it can't find the Wi-Fi hardware..

Any ideas?

Thanks
Max
I had last Friday the same problem.. what I really still don't understand that I couldn't find any cases like this except yours..
Do somebody know how to solve this?

falken shadow

Feb 23, 2009
i've the same problems

1year ago i've bought an 8gb 2g iPhone and jailbroked that and step to step upgrade from 1.1.1. 1.1.2 1.1.3 1.1.4 2.0 2.1 2.2
and unfortunately i've dropped 2 time but thanks god that's in one piece
but it's about 2 weeks that i've that error
i knew that's in jailbreaking you must unlock your baseband for wifi and bluetooth from 3.9 to 4.6 then after some steps your phone is ready.
my phone shows it's error after a long time wifi use or after download a prg. under cydia or installer
but i think it's a software error not hardware
please help us , me and my iPhone :(

Aimal

Feb 24, 2009
I cant connect to my Wifi on my iPhone It was working 3 days ago but now it doesn't even pick the connection.

Can Anyone help

indafrance

Feb 25, 2009
I think ZiPhone has an option that allows you to fix the wifi on your iPhone. I don't know whether this works for the latest firmware.

falken shadow

Feb 23, 2009
the error apears again!

after 1:restart 2:shutdown and power up 3:restore ......didn't solved but after battery decharge and connect to power cord my problem hae been disappear...

you can test it
good luck

juance

May 14, 2009
Do you guys think that if i waited until july and a new iPhone came out having a the no wi-fi problem would i get the new iPhone as a replacement? bought the phone in december so warranty for 1 year right

vtalbot

May 5, 2010
So this happened to me starting with my last software update. Hard reset didn't work for me either. My husband has had no issues, but he has the 3GS phone.. Wonder if this is a software glitch with the latest software update and the second generation phone? Surprised Apple isn't aware of the issue...do a search for this problem on the web there are a LOT of issues with it...just haven't found any resolution.