Will Apple TV2 do what I want?

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
I have been reading about the ATV2 and with the new iOS4.2 the "advertised" seamless transition between iPhone, ipad, ATV2 and my TV.

With everyone coming over for Thanksgiving and some out of town guests we do not see much, I would like to share my Mobile Me Galleries (I have quite a few), maybe show some shots of recent pictures that I have not uploaded to MM (or maybe some shots of the Turkey from that day) and videos. I think iCafe said the video upload will not work from the iPhone 4, but will the videos in the MM gallery play?

Also, do I have to have it set up to my main iTunes? I use my laptop for my iTunes, but the house PC is for my wifes iTunes. I think the iTunes is just to stream the music files correct?

Netflix streaming is the last requirement for the ATV2 for me which I think works with no issue as long as you have an account and decent bandwidth (FIOS with 35 down 20 up).

I can do most of this with my PS3, but I have to have the pictures on the house PC and then stream from the pc to the ps3 and display on the TV. For $99, ATV is pretty cheap and with MM already full of my gallery stuff, way easier than moving all my photos to the PC and hey I get a new toy!

richardya

Silver
Sep 24, 2007
I don't know about video from MM but they will fix the regular iPhone video to work with airplay, though not by thanksgiving, as to your other issues:

MM pictures work very well, pictures from your iPhone with airplay work well too, you can even play music from your phone with the pics from your phone. It's neat.
The good news for you is you can set it to your wifes computer or your laptop or BOTH, you also can not have any iTunes turned on although obviously you will then not have that content on the atv.
Your bandwidth seems fine for Netflix.
Your exactly correct on the 99 issue. It's a really nice interface and is an improving product, at 99 it's well worth it.
pS you do need to buy an HDMI cable.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
Reserved it for pick up when I head out of the office. I have a few extra HDMI cables at home (ordered extra when I bought some on Newegg for like $7-10 and go them in different lengths).

Thanks!

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I don't have a Mobile Me account so I don't know exactly what works but I figure if anything from iTunes can be streamed to the ATV2 then Mobile Me should.

I have been able to stream pictures from both my iPhone and iPad. In fact, the slideshow option on the iPad working like a charm! With music! You just can't stream video from the iPhone or iPad just yet. And like I said, you can stream ANYTHING from iTunes except apps. ;)

Of course, you can also use apps like Pandora to stream music to your ATV via AirPlay.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
I went and got one. Worked great showing pictures from MM. How do you get the music to play and view pictures? Still learning and playing but with guests here, they are interrupting my learning!:)

P

Paloloboy

I don't have a Mobile Me account so I don't know exactly what works but I figure if anything from iTunes can be streamed to the ATV2 then Mobile Me should.

I have been able to stream pictures from both my iPhone and iPad. In fact, the slideshow option on the iPad working like a charm! With music! You just can't stream video from the iPhone or iPad just yet. And like I said, you can stream ANYTHING from iTunes except apps. ;)

Of course, you can also use apps like Pandora to stream music to your ATV via AirPlay.
How do I get airplay ? Don't u have to b on 4.2 to get it ? And if you update to 4.2 ..don't u lose the jailbreak on the phone ? I don't get it ?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
Airplay works perfect on non-jailbreak 4.2 on phone and do the ATV2 update. Go to your iPhone camera roll. Upper right will have a blue icon touch it and it gives you the option for ATV and picture shows up

Ggerds

Bronze
Jun 8, 2010
I've been thinking about getting one too. I've got 10 Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up. Is this too slow for Netflix?

richardya

Silver
Sep 24, 2007
I've been thinking about getting one too. I've got 10 Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up. Is this too slow for Netflix?
I am gonna amend what I said with new information. I just updated from 1.5 (down) to 10 MBS (down) and I noticed that some content I could not watch, that I thought was an error on their server, works fine now. Specifically, I could not get season 6 of the office and I thought it was an error. It is actually because my speed was not fast enough. The same is true with some YouTube content.
So, you will be fine but people with 1.5 MBS may not get everything.

Ggerds

Bronze
Jun 8, 2010
I am gonna amend what I said with new information. I just updated from 1.5 (down) to 10 MBS (down) and I noticed that some content I could not watch, that I thought was an error on their server, works fine now. Specifically, I could not get season 6 of the office and I thought it was an error. It is actually because my speed was not fast enough. The same is true with some YouTube content.
So, you will be fine but people with 1.5 MBS may not get everything.
Awesome thanks! I think I'm gonna pick one up tomorrow! I'm excited to play with it especially in conjunction with airplay on my iPhone 4. Setting up my new hp AirPrint compatible printer tonight too! Loving this latest update. Now just have to sign up for Netflix.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
If Netflix would stream the new releases it would be perfect with my ATV2. Their new pricing of no DVD for $7.99 only allows the "current" streaming content which does not include New Releases. I am guessing that eventually they will. My issue is the impulse rental of a new release (Friday night, lets grab a movie) you are limited to the streaming which typically, we want to get a new release. I guess RedBox wins that battle for a $1.00 and its at the corner store. Netflix would have it all if it would stream EVERYTHING.

Ggerds

Bronze
Jun 8, 2010
If Netflix would stream the new releases it would be perfect with my ATV2. Their new pricing of no DVD for $7.99 only allows the "current" streaming content which does not include New Releases. I am guessing that eventually they will. My issue is the impulse rental of a new release (Friday night, lets grab a movie) you are limited to the streaming which typically, we want to get a new release. I guess RedBox wins that battle for a $1.00 and its at the corner store. Netflix would have it all if it would stream EVERYTHING.
Agreed. Redbox for the spur of the moment new release fix. I'm okay with that too. Didn't pick up the Apple tv today, crazy day. Looks like Thursday after work is the day.

richardya

Silver
Sep 24, 2007
Netflix is a smart company they are always doing stuff:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/netflix-inks-streaming-deal-with-movie-distributor-2010-12-01

The "Price reduction" which is really a price increase to everyone who wants DVD's (much bigger library) is more money for them that they will use to buy more streaming content. (my speculation)
I am not sure why but they actually have to buy the right to stream and the right to ship DVD's separately. Streaming is supposedly very expensive.