Will there be a new Verizon iPhone this summer?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I keep seeing bloggers (myself not included) talking about a new Verizon iPhone this summer. Sure we are used to seeing a new iPhone every summer and this summer will likely bring a new iPhone to AT&T. That being said, who is to say that Verizon will be included? I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T released a new iPhone in July and Verizon released the same iPhone months later -- like October.

I just don't see Verizon releasing the iPhone 4 in February only to have a new iPhone available on their network a mere four months later.

applejailescape

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2010
Ireland,UK
Quite a interesting question. But would that not give AT&T the upper hand when it comes to the latest iPhones and leave people the choice of either waiting for a verizon iPhone 5 or just buy the AT&T version , gives AT&T a big market advantage

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Verizon has new Android phones released that frequently. I think the iPhone 5 will be available on both networks this summer.

kyleplusitunes

Silver
Jun 25, 2010
I also think the iPhone on both carriers will have the same cycle, as they do IN EVERY OTHER COUNTRY IN THE WORLD. I do not see Apple giving preference to either carrier.

I see the iPhone 4 as Apple and verizon wanting to get something to market asap after the att contract expired.

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
Here's my prediction: Apple will make the white iPhone available this year. The antenna will probably be the only change but I don't they will announce it. Then next year there will be a new iPhone 5 or whatever they will call it. That's my take.

kyleplusitunes

Silver
Jun 25, 2010
Here's my prediction: Apple will make the white iPhone available this year. The antenna will probably be the only change but I don't they will announce it. Then next year there will be a new iPhone 5 or whatever they will call it. That's my take.
I would be willing to bet large sums of money we will see more than an antenna and color option. That just isn't Apple's style, they give just enough for peoples current device to feel a little bit obsolete

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I also think the iPhone on both carriers will have the same cycle, as they do IN EVERY OTHER COUNTRY IN THE WORLD. I do not see Apple giving preference to either carrier.
That's a little different though. It's the same phone as they give to AT&T in those other countries. In this case, it is a CDMA/EVDO phone, not a GSM/UMTS phone. They now have to develop two distinct phone models a year to keep this up. They can use the same processor, same screen, same OS, and a few other things, for the most part, but the board has to be designed with different chips in mind, and if they want to keep up a consistent look across each generation, they have to make the industrial design account for both (enough room to account for the thicker of the two chipsets, for example). Not saying they can't do it -- obviously they release all other kinds of new hardware on a yearly cycle, one more is a piece of cake -- but just that it's a little more complex than what they do in every other country, crank out more of the same phone and ship them across the globe. They are indeed giving preference to Verizon: they had to make a new model of the phone just for CDMA, and they are the first such carrier to have it. Whether that preference sticks remains to be seen. Since they said non-exclusive at the Q&A session, my bet is on the iPhone 5 coming to Sprint and Verizon at the same time, whenever that happens (which may be separate from the AT&T launch).

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I disagree. Apple has released a new phone every summer since the first iPhone and I think they'll follow that pattern. Advancements in technology come fast and I can't see them sticking with the same hardware and specs for two years - especially with the competition. That's an eternity in the cell phone industry.

I do think the iPhone 5 will look like the Verizon iPhone 4, though. I think it will be similar to the 3G -> 3GS upgrade.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I disagree. Apple has released a new phone every summer since the first iPhone and I think they'll follow that pattern. Advancements in technology come fast and I can't see them sticking with the same hardware and specs for two years - especially with the competition. That's an eternity in the cell phone industry.

I do think the iPhone 5 will look like the Verizon iPhone 4, though. I think it will be similar to the 3G -> 3GS upgrade.
If that is the case I won't be upgrading then, unless AT&T offers an early discount like they did last summer.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA

If that is the case I won't be upgrading then, unless AT&T offers an early discount like they did last summer.
I was able to upgrade from my 3GS when the 4 came out but was frightened off by "antenna gate". I might opt for the putative 4[GS] when the time comes; surely the 5 should that be available this summer.

YMMV

Chex

Dec 17, 2008
PA
Since Verizon is not offering early upgrades there really isn't any downside to them then offering a new iPhone 5 along with At&t in June. I mean there not trying to suck in as many customers as they can for a phone that may be updated. Just one more phone in their arsenal.

mccabegc

Bronze
Jul 18, 2010
Cape May, NJ
I think it will be like the 3g > 3gs upgrade. I will dump my evo 4g in a month and goto verizon, get the iPhone 4 and hold onto it until june 2010. At that point the new phone will be truly a new phone. LTE, new design etc. Just like when the iPhone 4 was released.

Omen311

Bronze
Jul 21, 2010
TEXAS
I'm sure they will add more memory. At least 64 gigs. But my question is will that make the phone bulkier or can they add more memory without changing the the thickness of the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
I'm sure they will add more memory. At least 64 gigs. But my question is will that make the phone bulkier or can they add more memory without changing the the thickness of the phone.

The iPod touch 64gb is no thicker so I don't see that being a problem

Omen311

Bronze
Jul 21, 2010
TEXAS
The iPod touch 64gb is no thicker so I don't see that being a problem
O ok. I asked because I think I read in another thread someone saying the phone would be thicker. No one really questioned it so thats why I asked.

mccabegc

Bronze
Jul 18, 2010
Cape May, NJ
I don't think you will see Apple make the phones any larger. They can actually fit a larger screen on the current phones platform. I like the size of the phone. The droid x and evo are just too big...can't text with one hand =/

evolution83

Zealot
Gold
Mar 2, 2009
California
I believe, if Verizon is to get the i5 come this summer, then that's when they should have announced that they were getting the iPhone. I see no point in them getting two new phones four months apart.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Because the vast majority of iPhone buyers are not aware of (or care about) the product release cycle like we are/do. It would be silly for verizon to wait to get into the iPhone party for any reason.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
My guess is both carriers get an iPhone 4G this summer in 32GB & 64GB variants, HSPA+/LTE respectively, and a GPU bump to keep up.

Who builds their A4 SOC? Maybe they'll bump that to 1.2gz and underclock to 1.0gz?

And a keyboard improvement, like Swype.

edit: we've already seen the antenna for this summers release since the verizon unit lacks the uSIM door that was pictured in the leak.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk