Will you be an iPad subscriber?

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Please tell me if you plan on subscribing to iPad, or your thoughts on it.

What do I mean? Well, I am an iPhone subscriber. I have bought every iPhone generation there is. I will probably do this again in summer (unless I end up being able to get my hands on an HTC evo 4G).

So the question is do you plan on buying this first ipad and then buying every other one that comes out after? I mean, just the fact that it has a built in battery means you have maybe, 2 years before the battery is pretty unusuable. I still have my 1st gen iPhone and it can only be not on wire for about 30 minutes tops.

Does anyone think that Apple will release a new iPad every year like they do the iPhone?

Just curious. I personally won't buy one because I'm a student and don't have a lot of spare dough, but if I were employed (like in a career not at jack in the box) I'd probably subscribe.

brobar

Mar 19, 2010
I plan on doing like my iPhone and upgrading every other generation... that is after the 2nd gen. I purchased the 1st gen because I didn't want to wait another year for a 2nd gen. I'll get the 2nd gen when it comes out and hand-me-down my 1st gen to the Mrs. And then I'll probably get into the rotation of every other gen after that... so 4th, 6th, etc...

Mickeylittle

Zealot
Gold
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
My wife loves my free hand-me-downs every June when I buy the latest iPhone so I'm sure she is expecting the trend to continue with the ipad as well. She has her money for whatever and I have mine. I spend wisely on gadgets while she foolishly spends hers on shoes. I think 150 pair are more than enough but that's where we differ!

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
I don't subscribe to anything. The device or the next device has to be the best of any current offering. I've had all 3 iPhones, but just because at the time I thought they were the best phone available. (Well, not the first iPhone, I just bought that one for development after they announced the 3g version.) The iPad will probably more closely follow the pc upgrade schedule of Apple. Which is greater than yearly for major upgrades, isn't it?

santiagodraco

Mar 31, 2010
Please tell me if you plan on subscribing to iPad, or your thoughts on it.

What do I mean? Well, I am an iPhone subscriber. I have bought every iPhone generation there is. I will probably do this again in summer (unless I end up being able to get my hands on an HTC evo 4G).

So the question is do you plan on buying this first ipad and then buying every other one that comes out after? I mean, just the fact that it has a built in battery means you have maybe, 2 years before the battery is pretty unusuable. I still have my 1st gen iPhone and it can only be not on wire for about 30 minutes tops.

Does anyone think that Apple will release a new iPad every year like they do the iPhone?

Just curious. I personally won't buy one because I'm a student and don't have a lot of spare dough, but if I were employed (like in a career not at jack in the box) I'd probably subscribe.
Most likely I will end up selling my iPad once the new HP Slate (or comparable) devices come out. The iPhone really had no competitors, but the iPad will have some serious competitors, all of which will have capabilities seriously lacking on the iPad, and I think that could well be Apples long term problem for the iPad.

I hope that Apple will address these issues but for not it's not looking good. So if you ask me there's really just a few things that make the iPad compelling over the competition:

1. A great screen (but will this remain an advantage)
2. Thin and light
3. Simple (a definite advantage for some users).

However there's things that the competition will have shortly, like:
1. Multitasking
2. An OPEN system allowing for a huge range of hardware and software options (basically anything a PC can use a Slate like tablet can use). Really this is a huge huge advantage
3. Plug and play... it's driving me nuts knowing I can't plug a usb device into my iPad, like a mouse, a phone or other device, either to be charged or used).
4. Sharing data easily.

So will I be an iPad subscriber? Most likely not.

Note that I really didn't come here to bash the iPad, hell I preordered too and I'm excited about the device. But realistically I think that the iPad is going to try to play in the mobile computer world and there's quite a difference there when it comes to capabilities. But we'll see!