Will you sit this one out?

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I went to the ATT site and got completely different information than the text I was sent after calling *639#. It says I am eligible for 2 year commitment pricing plus 250$ and the 18$ application fee. Surely they don't mean that if I purchase the $199 16gb model (the 2 year commitment pricing) I will have to pay an additional $250 to upgrade now? That doesn't make any sense. Ideas?
Just call them, these guys seem to be High on fumes today, probably something wrong with their website.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Will you sit this one out?
Without question.

Nothing I want or need. iPhone is just fine.

I'll wait for the next generation iPhone. No. Big. Deal.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
I went to the ATT site and got completely different information than the text I was sent after calling *639#. It says I am eligible for 2 year commitment pricing plus 250$ and the 18$ application fee. Surely they don't mean that if I purchase the $199 16gb model (the 2 year commitment pricing) I will have to pay an additional $250 to upgrade now? That doesn't make any sense. Ideas?
find out what your disconnect fee is

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Oh, and I'm a "valued customer" and they will offer me an upgrade with a new 2-year commitment.

How sweet but I don't what it right now.

Next year.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
That's what the girl said on the phone, that I'm a valued customer, but no cookie for me.

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
That's right. $250+$199+$18. Because they can.

Sent from my iPhone4 using iCafe app

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
Oh, and I'm a "valued customer" and they will offer me an upgrade with a new 2-year commitment.

How sweet but I don't what it right now.

Next year.
For me it's a no brainer. You buy a new 16gb iPhone (or higher) for $199 then you go on eBay and sell your iPhone 4 for more than $200. You come out ahead and you get a brand new faster phone.

Why wouldn't someone want to make extra money and get a new phone?

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
For me it's a no brainer. You buy a new 16gb iPhone (or higher) for $199 then you go on eBay and sell your iPhone 4 for more than $200. You come out ahead and you get a brand new faster phone.

The problem is the 2 year contract that is attached to that discounted 199 price. When ATT let you upgrade early I was doing what you outlined in your post. I don't want to be locked in till 2013 or have to pay a hefty ETF to upgrade again next year.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm sitting this one out, like I did with the 3G. I realize I can eBay and upgrade for little to no cost, but it's just not worth the hassle to me this year. Besides, my only backup phone at this point is an 8GB V1, and it is showing its age (especially not even being able to run iOS 4.0). So me and the wife will rock our current 4's until the next cycle, keep one of them as a backup device and sell the other when the time comes.

I'd love a new camera and Siri, but those aren't compelling enough for me to upgrade this time.

Reactions: firewire

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here

Here's my thinking: I had high hopes for a 5. I knew better and predicted it, but I still had high hopes. I had my phone sold. I would have ate the extra $268 that I would have to have come up with (I was selling my 4 for $200 quick cash cause I'm impatient) but now, its not even worth my troubles nor the expense. I'm not eligible for an upgrade until feb next year. So for me to come out the pocket for a ho-hum upgrade makes no sense to me. Now for those of you that are eligible for an upgrade, it may be worth it to you. But, when the 5 does come out in 6 months....it's gonna be an expensive lesson learned. Just my .02....don't get mad or bent out of shape fellas.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Here's my thinking: I had high hopes for a 5. I knew better and predicted it, but I still had high hopes. I had my phone sold. I would have ate the extra $268 that I would have to have come up with (I was selling my 4 for $200 quick cash cause I'm impatient) but now, its not even worth my troubles nor the expense. I'm not eligible for an upgrade until feb next year. So for me to come out the pocket for a ho-hum upgrade makes no sense to me. Now for those of you that are eligible for an upgrade, it may be worth it to you. But, when the 5 does come out in 6 months....it's gonna be an expensive lesson learned. Just my .02....don't get mad or bent out of shape fellas.

I don't think you should expect an iP5 within 6 months. It's unrealistic to expect Apple to allow such a small window to accumulate profits before releasing the next version.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
don't get mad or bent out of shape fellas.
Seems to me that you're one of the few that seem hellbent on convincing everyone else this upgrade is worthless when really you're just upset you jumped the gun and sold your phone. I can understand your disappointment, but stop projecting, innit.

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
Seems to me that you're one of the few that seem hellbent on convincing everyone else this upgrade is worthless when really you're just upset you jumped the gun and sold your phone. I can understand your disappointment, but stop projecting, innit.
I had it sold. But I didn't sell it. Buyer understands my backing out

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
I don't think you should expect an iP5 within 6 months. It's unrealistic to expect Apple to allow such a small window to accumulate profits before releasing the next version.
We shall see my young padowan. We shall see.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
If that happens I'll sell my 4S on craigslist for $350 and put the remaining whatever out of my own pocket, I work for a reason aren't i. Life is not that difficult.
by the time I'm done paying for my house I will pay about 275,000.00 in interest, and you worry about 300 bucks like they are removing one of your kidneys.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
The problem is the 2 year contract that is attached to that discounted 199 price. When ATT let you upgrade early I was doing what you outlined in your post. I don't want to be locked in till 2013 or have to pay a hefty ETF to upgrade again next year.
Why are you assuming AT&T won't let you upgrade early again? Ive purchased a new iPhone the week it comes out every time and it's an early upgrade. They've got to have it the same again.

Hell, my account says I'm eligible now anyways. Purchased the iPhone 4 last July