Would you pay $1000 for an iWatch?

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
i haven't worn a watch in like 30 years. at this point in my life i don't think i will ever wear a watch again.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I think comparing the iWatch to the iPad is comparing Apples and Oranges. The iPad provided a bigger display and additional features on apps that aren't available on the iPhone versions. The iWatch would be providing just extensions of apps that reside on our iPhones. I don't think the iWatch will provide services on standalone apps specifically for the iWatch. 1 day battery life would be a big fail. We already have to deal with charging the iPhone everyday. If this price is accurate, Apple would be narrowing the potential market to a very small niche group. What would be the purpose of the iWatch? A status symbol?

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I think comparing the iWatch to the iPad is comparing Apples and Oranges. The iPad provided a bigger display and additional features on apps that aren't available on the iPhone versions. The iWatch would be providing just extensions of apps that reside on our iPhones. I don't think the iWatch will provide services on standalone apps specifically for the iWatch. 1 day battery life would be a big fail. We already have to deal with charging the iPhone everyday. If this price is accurate, Apple would be narrowing the potential market to a very small niche group. What would be the purpose of the iWatch? A status symbol?
This post is full of assumptions, I think comparing iwatch to iPad is very appropriate. I remember the critics saying iPad was just a big iPhone. With iwatch, it's sort of the same but "smaller". We don't know what Apple has planned for iwatch but if it is focused on health, then there will be a huge market for that.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
This post is full of assumptions, I think comparing iwatch to iPad is very appropriate. I remember the critics saying iPad was just a big iPhone. With iwatch, it's sort of the same but "smaller". We don't know what Apple has planned for iwatch but if it is focused on health, then there will be a huge market for that.
Of coarse it's my assumption based on rumors. Nothing about the so called iWatch has been proven fact. It's ironic you ended your post with an assumption about health as well. :p

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The iWatch would have to be below $300 to make it feasible for me. Most importantly though, is it practical and something I would get a lot of use out of? The other issue is appearance. As something I would wear, how would it look on my wrist? Although, I did say when the first iPad came out that I wouldn't have a need for one. This past year I bought the iPad retina mini. I soon discovered the iPad excelled in areas where my iPhone didn't, such as reading books, watching video, and using certain apps. Maybe the same will hold true for an iWatch.

Last edited:

Tyger_purr

Bronze
Oct 3, 2010
How many of you own iPads? Were you of the thinking, I have an iPhone, so don't need or want an iPad?

What if the iWatch is under $500, like the original iPad. Would that interest you?
I have an iPad because it has capabilities the phone does not. I cannot see how a watch could add enough utility to justify a price higher than the largest iPhone or iPad that it (I assume) will be attached to.

This also makes me wonder how the carriers will react. Will they allow the watch to use data from an iPhone/cell data or will the want to charge more like they do if you want to connect an iPad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I have an iPad because it has capabilities the phone does not. I cannot see how a watch could add enough utility to justify a price higher than the largest iPhone or iPad that it (I assume) will be attached to.

This also makes me wonder how the carriers will react. Will they allow the watch to use data from an iPhone/cell data or will the want to charge more like they do if you want to connect an iPad.
Good point about carriers. The rumor is about $350 for the iWatch. Way too much for me. I don't need it that bad. Actually, I don't need it at all. Especially if carriers charge an additional fee for data usage. For me it's like, "enough is enough!". My iPhone will do everything the iWatch will do and it's with me most of the time. If the iWatch sold for $20, and there were no monthly data fees, I might get it just as a gadget novelty. Need it? No!

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I don't wear watches. Well, that is until Pebble came out. I'm in it for the tech, not the fashion. My point is that if Apple does decide to go the fashion route (precious metals, etc.) and have the watch swell up into the high hundres and even thousands, I would unfortunately be out. If they release a next gen smart watch which has tech that warrants a higher price tag, I would have to think about it. For me to spend more than $300, there would really need to be some next level stuff that no one else has yet. Either that or have it somehow integrate with my other Apple devices in a way that makes something (hopefully more than 1 thing) much much more convenient.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I love watches. I think Apple can change the game if the iWatch is going to be totally independent. Most, if not all, current smart watches need to be connected to a smartphone for data. If Apple can pull this off, then maybe the higher price tag may be overlooked by the filthy rich. It will be a niche device just like Google Glass.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Since this thread began, rumors put the iWatch at $349. Even at that price I won't get one. I have my iPhone with all the same stuff and then some. I suppose others will find a need for it, but I just don't have that need. I believe at $349, many will be left saying, " Nope, enough is enough!". Especially if it requires another $30 per month for data, or adds to the Verizon Share Everything Plan.

Mrallank59

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 8, 2013
It may be loaded with neat little features, but based on the plain looking Iwatch i saw recently I wouldn't buy it. On the other hand, if it looked more like a Casio G shock; I'd be all over it. The 1000.00 dollar price tag would still put a lump in my throat

T

The Doctor11

I really really want a smart watch. I have a budget of $100 for it though. I just personally cant do more. But I think apple should not price it any more then $200

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
Since this thread began, rumors put the iWatch at $349. Even at that price I won't get one. I have my iPhone with all the same stuff and then some. I suppose others will find a need for it, but I just don't have that need. I believe at $349, many will be left saying, " Nope, enough is enough!". Especially if it requires another $30 per month for data, or adds to the Verizon Share Everything Plan.
I think you make a good point. Sadly, people are going to spend almost $400 to get an iWatch. It's just like the craze with the google glasses. IMO, I don't need to be hooked into technology 24/ 7. I believe that it is nice once in awhile to disconnect from the outside world and get back to reality.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I really really want a smart watch. I have a budget of $100 for it though. I just personally cant do more. But I think apple should not price it any more then $200
I agree with you there. $199.99 for the smaller size and $249.99 for the larger size. The sizes are meant for women and men. The women's version will have a more girly look. :)

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

K

Katrin82

This isn't a poll in the true sense of a poll, but rather meant to stir up conversation on the topic. With news that the iWatch could be available at a price that could swell into the thousands, I'm curious as to what you would pay for an iWatch? Personally, I think they are referring to options like expensive watch bands. If I had to put a price on the iWatch, I'd say it will retail for $449 and will come with a black, rubber band. They cannot just sell an iWatch with a black band. Watches are fashion accessories. This will create a big aftermarket, but I suspect Apple will want a piece of it by offering options in store. Makes sense, people don't want to buy a watch that requires they immediately purchase a new watch band.

So what do you think will be the price of the iWatch? How much would you pay for an iWatch? Discuss.
No,never!!

Sassytallsista

Contributor
Bronze
May 22, 2010
Texas
I would by an Apple fitness monitor like the Nike Fuel but with some added features, and more accuracy. But for $1K? Hells no