xGPS: turn by turn navigation?

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
http://xgpsdev.xwaves.net/

i just read about this, i think you have to jailbreak though but it will be out later this month in cydia..
honestly, it is pretty cool, but i don't have much use for it personally, however, i know this was one of the top features everybody else wanted..

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
The only problem I see is that I can't imagine the iPhone's volume being loud enough to really use this. I mean, I could plug the iPhone into my AUX jack on my head unit, but I'd like to be able to listen to the radio as well...:)

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
The only problem I see is that I can't imagine the iPhone's volume being loud enough to really use this. I mean, I could plug the iPhone into my AUX jack on my head unit, but I'd like to be able to listen to the radio as well...:)
i don't know... the iPhone 3g is pretty loud

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
i don't know... the iPhone 3g is pretty loud
agreed, but factor in road noise and possible passenger chatter, and it might hinder being able to hear it. Of course, if you have it run into your stereo, then it shouldn't be a problem.

gkf9

Bronze
Oct 8, 2008
What's the Gps thing he has plugged into the ipod,will I need one of these?

alamarco

Bronze
Nov 28, 2008
Canada
myfigurecollection.net
Sounds good! I can't wait for Jailbird to come out so I can start using applications like xGPS. xGPS wont be released until Feb 20th, but with the death in regards to Jailbird, and no news since, I don't expect a release before March.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I think the volume on the iPhone would work just as well as the volume on the GPS systems you buy that you plug into your cigarette adapter. My husband has GPS on Verizon phone and it's loud enough to hear the turn by turn directions. I don't think the volume will be a problem.

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
This app is already out on the MMi source. I've tried it out and I couldn't get the driving directions feature to work.

The same company that makes the GPS app also makes an external GPS for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

alamarco

Bronze
Nov 28, 2008
Canada
myfigurecollection.net
i'm not sure why people need turn by turn gps, just look where you need to go and go.
If you're traveling, on vacation or businesss trip, if you're in a new city you're going to need directions. If you're with people you could have them read a map, tell you where to go. If you're alone, you have to constantly pull over to read the map because you can't read it while driving (I hope not). This is where turn by turn GPS is needed. You wont have to keep pulling over all the time.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i travel quite a bit and use my phone for directions. i simply plug in where i want to go and look at the route for a minute or so. then while driving, if i need to reference i will look when i get to a stop light or something, however that hardly is the case. it isn't that hard to do in my opinion....

gkf9

Bronze
Oct 8, 2008
Is this app supposed to be working at the moment without voice directions? Because I can't get the driving directions thing to work!

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
i travel quite a bit and use my phone for directions. i simply plug in where i want to go and look at the route for a minute or so. then while driving, if i need to reference i will look when i get to a stop light or something, however that hardly is the case. it isn't that hard to do in my opinion....
Using turn-by-turn is simply another method to accomplish the same thing. Folks who use turn-by-turn would probably say the same thing about your method. :)

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
I used the GPS part of it today while going to school, and it is MUCH more accurate than the built-in Maps application. I just wish the driving directions feature worked in the US...

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
Using turn-by-turn is simply another method to accomplish the same thing. Folks who use turn-by-turn would probably say the same thing about your method. :)
probably not.

how'd you find where you were going in your younger days (assuming that is your old self in your avatar)? did you have someone sitting shotgun giving you turn by turn directions or did you just look at the map and figure out where you needed to go? if you forgot a quick glance while stopped could remind you of your bearings and you are ready to roll once again.

its not that hard if you have an IQ over 75.......................

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
probably not.

how'd you find where you were going in your younger days (assuming that is your old self in your avatar)? did you have someone sitting shotgun giving you turn by turn directions or did you just look at the map and figure out where you needed to go? if you forgot a quick glance while stopped could remind you of your bearings and you are ready to roll once again.

I didn't use a computer, DVR or calculator when I was sixteen, either.

And my IQ is a little under twice 75.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
probably not.

i agree with what youre saying... its not at all hard to plan out a route BEFORE you plan your trip, is it? especially with google maps by your side?