Yellow screen

Summertop511

Bronze
Jul 3, 2010
So this is my third iPhone 4. The first was perfect besides the mic that just randomly stopped. The second one had a loose back plate that sounded like it would fall off if u tapped it. Now this third one I've had for over three weeks now seemed to be perfect. I was sitting outside with my sisters iPhone 4. That's when I noticed that on mine u could see the backlights on the edges of the screen on mine and that the entire screen had a horrible yellow tint. I've always thought it was a little bit dark but compared to my sisters it looks horrible. Hers is completely crisp and white clear looking. I may be a Lil obsessed but I payed a lot for this phone. Has anyone else swapped out their phone to get another with it's own set of problems? Getting quite aggravating but atleast it's an Apple and I can go trade it out.

All44

Bronze
Jun 21, 2010
You should take it to the Apple store when your sister goes to buy the new nano.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Question: Did you swap it out at an Apple Store or over the phone through the mail? If you did it at the store all three times, which I assume you did, do not return there and simply call Apple Care (800) 275-2273 and arrange a replacement through the mail. I believe they have new replacements from the manufacturer as opposed to some Apple Stores which may stealthily have used ones for replacements. I wouldn't trust them at all because those problems you're reporting are too coincidental.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
I've been back and forth with my local Apple store about this as well. I bought my wife a 4 about a month ago. Compared to mine (bought on iDay) hers has a very yellow tint. Not nearly as white as mine. Every "Genius" says something different. When I went to replace it, all of the refurbs have the same issue. I have just settled on living with it, however I'm still not happy. I think there was a batch of iPhones made that have this yellow tint. Is anyone else noticing this? BTW, this is NOT the glue issue, it is an LCD brightness issue...

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

JaniceH

Bronze
Sep 6, 2010
I know this has been brought up before but I couldn't find any conclusion among the threads . I just got my iPhone 4 and am definitely noticing a weird yellow tint on the screen . Compared to my 3GS ( crisp and white ) the screen looks horrid . Please pass along any info that can help me . Thanks !

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I know this has been brought up before but I couldn't find any conclusion among the threads . I just got my iPhone 4 and am definitely noticing a weird yellow tint on the screen . Compared to my 3GS ( crisp and white ) the screen looks horrid . Please pass along any info that can help me . Thanks !
Sounds defective. IDK if this will go away with time or not. U should call Apple and open a case about it. Let the Tech Support advisors tell you what they think.

OR........

If you have an Apple store near you make an appointment at the Genius Bar and take the phone in. Since you just got it, it's under warranty and they can replace it for you on the spot provided they have stock. You can make an appointment on the Apple web site. Find your location and pick a store from there you can see what times they have available to be seen by a Genius.

Use this link to get started: http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Reactions: maximo916

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I would book an appointment at your local Apple store and seek a replacement. The yellowish tint was something to do with the glue used in the manufacturing process, I could be wrong.

Reactions: maximo916

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
I would book an appointment at your local Apple store and seek a replacement. The yellowish tint was something to do with the glue used in the manufacturing process, I could be wrong.
Yeah I remember it was something like the glue had to dry or something. It could go away in time. How much time IDK. I would at least talk to a Genius or Tech person about it and get a case # so it is on record in your account in case of a problem later it is at least documented.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Apple don't like their customers having defective products, I wouldn't be surprised if they swapped it instantly.

JaniceH

Bronze
Sep 6, 2010
Thanks . I also read somewhere that it could have something to do with a new "warmer" color screen . Personally , I like the cooler whiter look way better . I compared my bosses iPhone 4 with mine and his looks nice and white . I guess a trip to Apple is in my future .

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Thanks . I also read somewhere that it could have something to do with a new "warmer" color screen . Personally , I like the cooler whiter look way better . I compared my bosses iPhone 4 with mine and his looks nice and white . I guess a trip to Apple is in my future .
Make your appointment using the link I gave you. The Geniuses will make sure you're made whole with a swap out. Glad to help.

Here is the link again:

Use this link to get started: http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

JaniceH

Bronze
Sep 6, 2010
Gotta Love Apple ! I went to the store last night ( Ottawa , Ontario ) . Got the normal speech about how all displays are different colors , I basically voiced my unhappiness regarding the yellow tinge and was offered a replacement . Happy me . After opening it I immediately noticed it was worse than my original . I pushed back and was offered " one more replacement to try " . Lucky me , it was the cool white I was looking for ! All is good in iPhone 4 land ! I do have one strange comment to make . The genius claimed that the black box phones are " new " .. I'm not sure I believed him , I thought they are refurbs .. Thanks again for the support .

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Gotta Love Apple ! I went to the store last night ( Ottawa , Ontario ) . Got the normal speech about how all displays are different colors , I basically voiced my unhappiness regarding the yellow tinge and was offered a replacement . Happy me . After opening it I immediately noticed it was worse than my original . I pushed back and was offered " one more replacement to try " . Lucky me , it was the cool white I was looking for ! All is good in iPhone 4 land ! I do have one strange comment to make . The genius claimed that the black box phones are " new " .. I'm not sure I believed him , I thought they are refurbs .. Thanks again for the support .
GR8. I'm glad this worked out for you. I knew Apple would take care of you. They hate having unhappy customers.

It's a GR8 company as far as I'm concerned. Owning Apple products, iPhone, iMac, iPods, soon to have an iPad 2 or 3 has changed my life and I have never been disappointed yet and don't expect to be.

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
Those "new iPhones" are all refurbs.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Those "new iPhones" are all refurbs.
I used to hate the idea of getting a Refurb, but any replacement phones have always been awesome for me. I got a replacement phone with my iPhone 4 and there were no Refurbs, or Service Stock, as it is called to replace my phone with, so they had a brand new phone for me. I am happy with it. I wouldn't have cared if I did get a Refurb, but the fact that they gave me a brand new phone isn't bad.

I read where Refurbs are phones that have had a serious going over to make sure everything is right. In most cases this is better than brand new because the kinks have been worked out it is better than new. I also read, don't know how true this is but, they replace the batteries in the Refurbs so you have a nice new fresh one.

JaniceH

Bronze
Sep 6, 2010
Personally , I have no issue with refurbs either . I have bought many factory refurbs from various manufactures over the years . The products always have the same warranty and I can save money . So it is a win .. I only found it odd that the genius told me that the black boxes contained new phones . It contradicted everything I have heard thus far .

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
I used to hate the idea of getting a Refurb, but any replacement phones have always been awesome for me. I got a replacement phone with my iPhone 4 and there were no Refurbs, or Service Stock, as it is called to replace my phone with, so they had a brand new phone for me. I am happy with it. I wouldn't have cared if I did get a Refurb, but the fact that they gave me a brand new phone isn't bad.

I read where Refurbs are phones that have had a serious going over to make sure everything is right. In most cases this is better than brand new because the kinks have been worked out it is better than new. I also read, don't know how true this is but, they replace the batteries in the Refurbs so you have a nice new fresh one.
I'm on my 8th iPhone 4.