Yellow screens! Why Apple? Why?

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
You're right O.J. Simpson. This is an epic failure on Apple's part. I'm sending Steve Jobs an email right now and I suggest everybody do the same.

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
the majority of all iPhone v1 users had yellow screens and didn't know it. are the new ones more yellow than those? my wife has a yellow screen v1...I secretly call it the sick iPhone. I've never pointed out the difference to her.

ClarkKent724

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Nashville, TN
Screen quality/display has been one of my biggest concerns since hearing of the 3G iPhone. I got my v1 iPhone June 29th, 2007 and can't complain a single bit. I think it is clear that Apple has been playing with quality and vendors. I as well will wait and see what future shipments of the 3G will look like.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
I compared my V1 to YoungBinks' 3G today and his screen was somewhat more saturated and *very* *very* slightly more yellow - but overall, it looked BETTER than my V1. I would call the difference between his and mine as more of the difference between a white florescent bulb and a regular incandescent, not like the extreme difference in the OP's picture - it wasn't even really noticeable unless you were looking for it. If yours is as bad as the OP's picture, I'd get back to the Apple store and demand a replacement.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
OK guys. Browsed around some other forums and came across this.
I think the 3G is pretty close to replicating true colors. Our eyes are so used to the "blue tint" on the 2G iPhone. I kinda like the 3G colors now!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
That actually makes sense, there. You could be right.

- John

Last edited by a moderator:

Marino

Jun 7, 2008
Macon, GA
I noticed this too when I was checking my Touch to make sure I got everything off of it. If the iPhone is by itself, I don't notice it really. But when they're next to each other, it's obvious that the iPhone 3G is browner.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
How can I determine which series I have?
Dial *3001#12345#*

this will open the field test. Goto "versions" and note the LCD panel version. The starting number is what you're looking for.

For what it's worth, mine is a 7 series, and it's the "cool, bright white" variety. My wife's is also a 7 series and her's is definitely more yellow. These are both V1's.

So in other words, take the series info with a grain of salt.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I am not sure but I think only the ones in the very beginning were a 5, by the time I had to exchange mine in November there were only 7 unless you got a refurb 5. Apple found a way to cut corners on the screens I guess.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
All of this really reminds me simply of temperature settings on CRT and LCD monitors. I have a feeling this is going to be a user-adjustable preference in the very near future if Apple gets enough complaints.

Personally, based on the post above... the new screen is probably nicer for movies.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
As it is with my current 7 screen, I don't like the auto brightness, especially watching a movie, I manually set it and I'm good to go, it's an easy enough fix for me.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Those with the iPhone 3g, this may solve the problem for you. Read this:

Just thought to drop in and check if anyone of you have restored your iPhone 3G yet? I also noticed that my new iPhone 3G had a yellowish screen, but after I did a restore (due to other reasons though), the screen looks to be even better than my iPhone 2G!

When I did the restore via iTunes, it downloaded a new version of the firmware (2.0, 5A347) and after the restore it looks like the colors are fine! I could be wrong here, but at least it seems so. The shipping firmware on the iPhone 3G is (to my knowledge) 2.0 5A345. After the restore, I didn't load up the previous backup, just to make sure that everything is reseted. I only care about my calendar entries and contacts, which will be thrown to the phone when you sync it.