Yellow screens! Why Apple? Why?

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
From Engadget:

"We just spoke with Bob Borchers, senior director of product marketing for the iPhone, and he had some very interesting info regarding the "yellow screen" phenomenon we've been hearing about. According to Bob (and Apple), the screen's color temperature has been purposely altered on the new iPhone to produce warmer, more natural tones, sharper images, and deeper blacks. The company says that 1st gen iPhone screens appeared colder and less defined, and they made some adjustments for the new models. In our opinion, what he says is right on -- the screens do look better on the iPhone 3G versus the older variety."

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
^^ Which is exactly what I said yesterday. Being a HD enthusiast these screens are dead on. More realistic view, I watched Dazed and Confused on both v1 and 3G and the dark levels are absolutely amazing for a screen this small.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
^^ Which is exactly what I said yesterday. Being a HD enthusiast these screens are dead on. More realistic view, I watched Dazed and Confused on both v1 and 3G and the dark levels are absolutely amazing for a screen this small.
OK cool. So this matter is pretty much closed. Mods, you can lock this thread if you like.

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
I was able to get into the ATT store this afternoon, nobody there. And I did a side by side comparison. I set the brightness on the 3G to match my V1. While there is a definite warmer, yellow cast, the text is a bit sharper, and the blacks are a tad deeper. However, the warmer cast is not appealing, to me anyway. Apple is going to have to come up with a method for setting color temperature, tint, etc.

That's my opinion anyway.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I don't think this matter is resolved at all. I watched the same video on my v1 as I did on my 3G as well as on my laptop. The colors on the laptop MATCHED the colors on the v1 in video playback whereas the colors on the 3G were noticeably more yellow. If Apple is saying that the display on their 3G is more accurate than on my MacBook Air then I suppose I should be more disappointed in the MacBook than at the iPhone.

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
I don't think this matter is resolved at all. I watched the same video on my v1 as I did on my 3G as well as on my laptop. The colors on the laptop MATCHED the colors on the v1 in video playback whereas the colors on the 3G were noticeably more yellow. If Apple is saying that the display on their 3G is more accurate than on my MacBook Air then I suppose I should be more disappointed in the MacBook than at the iPhone.
That is absolutely impossible. I have a macbook and the colors are almost the same as the 3G iPhone. I still have my v1 phone and the colors are not realistic. They look great cause some peoples eyes catch more with blues and whites. This "yellow" comment that people keep throwing around needs to change. It is "Warmer" color. Apple never said the display on the 3G is more accurate than on your Macbook Air, they are saying they are more realistic. You must have your Macbook Air screen settings way over board then. I have compared the colors of my iPhone to my Pioneer plasma running a Blu-ray movie and the colors are very similar. My television is also ISF calibrated as well.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Did a restore yesterday, the yellowish tint has lessened considerably.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Here's a simple test, can someone post a shot of an 2G displaying this test image and a 3G displaying this test image? It's not color reproduction I'm concerned with, it's the inability of the 3G to reproduce color scales without washing out like the iPod Touch does.

Last edited by a moderator:

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I don't care about the yelllow tint, I want to see how it handles the display of a gray scale or a gradient scale of any color next to a V1. I've heard that the 3G washes out on such tests, but I've not seen a sample picture of the two phones side by side.

This is a major issue for me as I watch lots of video with my iPhone on my daily commute. I think my V1 phone has amazing color and depth and I don't want to trade that for something that has a worse display.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Here's an example of the test I want to see between the V1 and 3G.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
mine is nowhere even close to the tint of the left one in the original post. In fact, side by side with my v1 there is very little difference between the two.
Well, the top looks like an iPod touch, so I don't think that's aproper comparison. I've posted sude by side pics of v1 and 3G iPhones. I've also watched video on the 3G, and it still looks awesome!

scrowner

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Here's an example of the test I want to see between the V1 and 3G.
I did this test with V1 (iDay, 2G), iPod touch, and a iPhone 3G. I used the site drycreekphoto.com to setup a grey scale on each of the devices side by side. I set all the birghtness scales to the same, about 80% full scale.

V1 - white screen, crisp and bright
iPod Touch - slight yellow tint
3G - more yellow tint

The iPod touch was really in the middle of the three - as far as yellow tint goes. I was not able to produce a nice picture to post for everyone. My digital camera just would not do the comparison justice (2Mpix camera). I have NOT restored my 3G and it currently is *45 version.

I agree that it seems to be very noticeable side by side but using the 3G by itself - I do not notice the yellowing - but it is present.